Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Upgrading PC 605-UB12

4 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello everyone, I've just wanted to find out what is the correct motherboard to upgrade to with this system currently without changing the case.

So far my build can be seen here 

http://www.heypasteit.com/clip/3ABO - This shows my Computer Specs etc.

So far I'm thinking I need to upgrade the motherboard and add a video card to this system.
Although this system's motherboard has a wifi card in it, I'm not sure what I can do about this moving to a upgraded motherboard.

Aside from that even though I did purchase a SSD I noticed that these are very expensive to come by. 

Should I upgrade the motherboard? or just purchase a video card and be done with it?

Thank You For Any Advice!

Posted

hmmm... im a little less sure on swapping out for a pre-built PC from a vendor, but if what I am seeing is correct you have an Acer Pre-built ATC-605-UB12 right?

so a couple of questions.

1) you mentioned that the one IN there has Wireless internet... is this something you are needing to continue to have? (either built in or purchase an add-on)

2) is the Mobo bad or are you just trying to upgrade?

3) if you are just trying to upgrade, what is the goal?

4) you mentioned that you might get a video card, is there a slot there in the unit for one?

Posted

hmmm... im a little less sure on swapping out for a pre-built PC from a vendor, but if what I am seeing is correct you have an Acer Pre-built ATC-605-UB12 right?

Answer: Yes it is, I did purchase SSD and Power Supply + HD Monitor.

so a couple of questions.

1) you mentioned that the one IN there has Wireless internet... is this something you are needing to continue to have? (either built in or purchase an add-on)

2) is the Mobo bad or are you just trying to upgrade?

3) if you are just trying to upgrade, what is the goal?

4) you mentioned that you might get a video card, is there a slot there in the unit for one?

1. It has a "AR5B22 WiFi + Bluetooth" module connected to the motherboard. Not a requirement to keep it, just wanted to know if I could keep it, instead of losing out on the feature I paid for with the desktop.

2. No the computer was bought (Refurbished). This would be just upgrading.

3. Well the goal was really intended for school, then I was thinking to make it play games also.

4. There is a PCI Express Slot Yes, if you noticed in the specs there is a part I ordered "90 Degree Angled USB 3.0 19-Pin 20-Pin Internal Header Mini Connector" upon looking for video cards I've come to the fact that other people who have had this system stated that some video cards will not work ONLY because of the size/fitting into the PCI Slot available because of this I was assuming this USB Panel plug was in the way of placing a Video Card on the motherboard. So hopefully that is the case.

Posted

Sorry about the late reply, I have been quite busy with work this week.

1) the module, if it is plugged into a PCIE slot or somesuch should be transferrable to a new MOBO if needed.

3) I would try the graphics card on the MOBO you have now, and see what kind of performance you get (Just make sure to enable the dedicated graphics card from the BIOS).  Then, if it doesnt work, jump for the new MOBO.  As long as it has all the plugs you need, then no need to spend money on upgrading something that will make only a small difference to the rig.

This is my 2 cents, i am hardly an admin of this site, or someone who has done this lots.  I DO work in the IT field, and that is what I would do, were I in the same situation.