Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Video-Photo editing

14 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

OK, I confess. I am not a gamer. I am an amateur photo and video editor with an underpowered PC. I figure you are the guys to ask when it comes to needing more video processing power and speed. So, what can I build that won't empty a retired guys pockets but get the job done before I pull our what hair I have left?

Edited by William Curran

Posted

Sounds to me you are needing something with beefy ram and a decent processor?

First of all, what hardware are you using now (that is underpowered for what you need)?

Posted

Sounds to me you are needing something with beefy ram and a decent processor?

First of all, what hardware are you using now (that is underpowered for what you need)?

I have a 64 bit, win 10, Lenovo all-in-one with dual Pentiums, 4 GB physical memory,

Intel HD Graphics
            Manufacturer    Intel
            Model    HD Graphics
            Device ID    8086-0152
            Revision    A
            Subvendor    Lenovo (17AA)
            Current Performance Level    Level 0
            Driver version    10.18.10.4358
Video RAM is borrowed from system I believe

This system Leaves the cursor lagging far behind the mouse in Photoshop with any edit tool larger than 100 pixels. Open half a dozen layers and edit of 20 minutes and the whole thing just freezes  or naps while the pagefile gets over it's panic attack.

Yes, I'm thinking i5 or i7 (or maybe the closest an AMD chips can get to that), 8 GB RAM, 4 GB on the video card but what do I know. Will need a monitor too but definitely can't drop 2 grand+ on a high end. Don't need gaming refresh rates but good color control, 1920x1080 probably big enough but larger/higher res might help.  I don't want to overkill here and there's lots of advice out there that does seem a little extreme. Most of my vids will be 1080, all just personal stuff, but my camera has 4K capability and I'd like to make use of it (though I don't have a 4K TV as yet so, maybe not so important.) Big thing, I want reliable components and not 3rd world knockoffs that don't stand up. I need a balanced system, well matched components. these things are over my head, I just don't h=know the market or users that can offer word of mouth.

Posted

Fair enough.

I would make a couple of adjustment recommendations.

1) i would jump to 16 GB or ram, its heavily used in video editing software from what I understand (speaking as someone who does NOT use it).

2) definately a dedicated graphics card.

3) get an SSD, boot up times are worth the additional cost (cold start to logged in without a password about 12 seconds), just get a beefy secondary hd, to make sure that it can hold what you need it to, and install everything NOT OS related, to the secondary HD.

So on to the last important questions.  Are you wanting to build one, or are you wanting ideas of what to buy (from built systems) that will fit what you need?

PapersPn likes this

Posted

Thank you, all, for the feedback so far.

I'm assuming that if I build, I get better components for the same money. So, ya, I'm willing to build. That said, the last lime I built a PC was 1996! My hope is that I can get a good recipe here, specific brand/model names for items would be more helpful than generic specs only. I can acquire the components (though reliable source suggestions are also welcome) and Follow instructions provided by manufacturers. If I have assembly issues, I think this and other forums can help. Pre-build is still on the table if there are recommendations.

So back to specification (brand/model suggestions encouraged):

• Tower: something plain or sophisticated, I am not a make-really-hot-and-cool gamer kid. I'll live in my living room.

• Motherboard: CPU: probably can make a Intel Core i5-6500 work. 6600 runs hotter therefore more fan noise (living room again). i7 too expensive (unless some convinces me I'd regret not having it) AMDs, hot too. Are my concerns realistic? Ya, 16 GB physical memory seems right. Other motherboard characteristics are pretty much over my head. heed help there.

• Graphic board: price point is a factor. the range is mid blowing. AMD Radeon RX 480 has a great price but is it enough? AMD Radeon R9 390X looks competitive but $180 more. User experience would help here.

• HDMI and USB ports. Have server USB devices including a USB 3 external drive (7200 though) and there is a new standard, type-c, do I need to concern myself with that?

• Hard drive(s): Rather clueless as to what i should do here. Was the suggestion above to get an SSD just for the OS and a standard HD for other stuff. I'm a little nervous about installing programs in custom folders rather than on the root. Realistic concern?

• CD/DVD: standard fair

• Audio card: could be on motherboard separate. I'm not an audiophile. Pain vanilla will do

• what am I forgetting?

Feedback is greatly appreciated.

Posted

I will go line by line, changing the font so it is easy to follow.  Again, this is MY recommendation as a techie, NOT as a professional!  Please keep that in mind, i am HARDLY THE only expert, or the best, lol!

Thank you, all, for the feedback so far.

I'm assuming that if I build, I get better components for the same money. So, ya, I'm willing to build. That said, the last lime I built a PC was 1996! My hope is that I can get a good recipe here, specific brand/model names for items would be more helpful than generic specs only. I can acquire the components (though reliable source suggestions are also welcome) and Follow instructions provided by manufacturers. If I have assembly issues, I think this and other forums can help. Pre-build is still on the table if there are recommendations.

So back to specification (brand/model suggestions encouraged):

• Tower: something plain or sophisticated, I am not a make-really-hot-and-cool gamer kid. I'll live in my living room.

This should be dependant on the motherboard and Dedicated Graphics card. Those specs can change what you can do for a case.

• Motherboard: CPU: probably can make a Intel Core i5-6500 work. 6600 runs hotter therefore more fan noise (living room again). i7 too expensive (unless some convinces me I'd regret not having it) AMDs, hot too. Are my concerns realistic? Ya, 16 GB physical memory seems right. Other motherboard characteristics are pretty much over my head. heed help there.

I would agree with the i5-6500.  I have an i5 and it does PLENTY for my needs, and saves a boatload of cash.  :) 16 gb of ram might be overkill for some of what you use, but when video editing i think it will make a decent difference.

• Graphic board: price point is a factor. the range is mid blowing. AMD Radeon RX 480 has a great price but is it enough? AMD Radeon R9 390X looks competitive but $180 more. User experience would help here.

Really here you have to weigh what you WANT with what you can afford... as you have seen you can drop SERIOUS money on a Graphics card, lol!  Tomorrow i will tell you the one i have in my system (sorry, i forgot which one it is), it works great for Skyrim ect, which should be about what you need for your editing, right?

• HDMI and USB ports. Have server USB devices including a USB 3 external drive (7200 though) and there is a new standard, type-c, do I need to concern myself with that?

Personally, i am not going to worry about the new type-c until it is more widespread, USB 3.0 is probably most you will need, some cases have one or two of those onthe front, and then the MOBO will include one as well.

• Hard drive(s): Rather clueless as to what i should do here. Was the suggestion above to get an SSD just for the OS and a standard HD for other stuff. I'm a little nervous about installing programs in custom folders rather than on the root. Realistic concern?

That was the suggestion.  SSD should not be written to a ton of times a day (it wears out the flash memory that it uses) Not a realistic concern.  Just change where the folder saves to.  I have on my secondary drive a folder called "programs".  I install all programs in that folder, and then other stuff i want to save goes in a different folder with my name on it, and one for my wife with her name.  Then i divvy up into further folders as i need/see fit.  However, if you wish to just use a regular hard drive, that is totally up to you, boot times might be a bit slower, but nothing drastic unless you are running a windows 98 OS on it, lol(which an SSD probably cannot fix, haha)!  How much storage are you needing? (how big are the files that you will be editing and working with?)

• CD/DVD: standard fair

Probably all you need, using in your living room though you might look at a Blueray drive so that you can hook to your TV and watch movies, depending on price.

• Audio card: could be on motherboard separate. I'm not an audiophile. Pain vanilla will do

sounds good, its what i do, i use headphones anyways most of the time, lol.  Better for my usage, but you could probably use a regular set of speakers and be just fine.

• what am I forgetting?

Feedback is greatly appreciated.

1) do you need to buy a copy of Windows 10? (windows 7 is just about to no longer be sold by Microsoft)

2) What kind of monitor are you planning on getting?

3) how much are you wanting to spend (that will affect case/mobo/Graphics options)?

4) Power Supply has not yet been mentioned, but we will answer what you need once we iron out the MOBO and GPU.

5) i THINK that is it.

Also, I have only advised a couple people on PC parts, so am a bit slower at it than some of the other pros here that are hiding in the wood work.

Posted

Thanks for the fast come-back. I'll reply more tomorrow - busy day right now.

Posted

I called eCustomPC for aquote. What do you think about (a) the company and (b) the configuration,component matching effectiveness for Photoshop editing  and video editing (1080 and short 4K).

AMD Option:
Your choice of Case option listed above (or other upon request)
Corsair 550W CMVU-550VX Continuous Power Supply Unit
AMD FX 8320E Black Edition PileDriver 3.2GHz Eight-Core CPU/Processor (with adequate quiet CPU cooler)
Asus M5A78L-M Plus/USB3 AM3+ mATX Motherboard
* Motherboard has 4x USB2.0, 2x USB3.0, front of computer will have 2x USB2.0. Will support more than 16GB max RAM
8GB(2x4GB) 1600MHz DDR3 Major Memory/RAM
Seagate 1TB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
48x DVDROM Reader SATA Optical Drive
Radeon RX 470 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Video Card
Internal All-in-one Card Reader w/ additional USB2.0 port
Internal Standard Wireless Adapter
External USB Standard Bluetooth Adapter
Windows 10 Home 64-bit (full copy, installed with original disc and product key)
Total Price (free FedEx Home Delivery included): $739.98

Intel Option:
Intel Core i5-6600K SkyLake 3.5GHz 1151 CPU/Processor (with adequate quiet CPU cooler)
Gigabyte GA-H170M-DS3H mATX LGA 1151 Intel Motherboard
* Motherboard has 2x USB2.0, 4x USB3.0, front of computer will have 2x USB2.0. Will support more than 16GB max RAM
Total Price (free FedEx Home Delivery included): $889.98

Posted

1) I have not bought anything from the company, it looks alright, and the price on items does not look terribly different than what you would find elsewhere building it (like dell/hp ect).

I WOULD check this site: Just to compare.  I would, but I am at work and gaming sites are blocked... lol.  www.pcgamer.com/nine-custom-pc-builders-compared-who-gives-you-the-best-deal

That being said, the difference between the two is dependant if you want Intel or AMD.  If you want Intel you pay a higher amount.  Personally, i like Intel better, but there have been loads of people with different experiences that says that it is just up to your personal preferences/experience (like I will NEVER own another Toshiba PC ever again, ha)

The only think i would do is up to 16 GB of ram.  but the price looks good.  Check that article, PCGamer.com will be looking more to the gaming side, but i daresay that a LOT of what you will use in photoshop will be similar to what gamers need. However, i am NOT a photoshop guru, so please take my advice with a grain of salt, haha.  Personally, of the two, i would go with the intel one.  1) intel, need i say more? 2) more usb 3.0 (use the 2.0 in back for the keyboard and mouse and everything else gets the faster transfer rate). but remember, go with what will make YOU happy, not some random dude on the internet, haha.

I WOULD recommend doing 1 thing before jumping at the one at the site you checked.

try one o fht eother ones mentioned at the PCGamer.com site, and compare prices.  Just to make sure that you are not being taken to the cleaners on price.  :) remember they WILL mark up a bit of the cost for their labor, BUT you dont have to try to put the PC together, so there is that.

Posted

Final configuration. Check out the other sites  - this is  a good price. I just hope the supplier turns out to be reliable. hard to tell.

Antec VSK4000E U3 Black Case (see image attachment)
* (2) Quiet case fans installed/included
Corsair 550W CMVU-550VX Continuous Power Supply Unit
Intel Core i5-6600K SkyLake 3.5GHz 1151 CPU/Processor (with adequate quiet CPU cooler)
Asus B150-PRO D3 ATX Intel Motherboard
* Motherboard has 4x USB2.0, downgrade to 2x USB3.0 (however new case has (2) USB3.0 on the front), supports more than 16GB RAM)
* Motherboard will have (2) open PCI-E x1 slots (for USB3.0 cards), (2) open PCI slots
16GB(4x4GB) 1600MHz DDR3 Major Memory/RAM * After reseach, 4x4GB would be more beneficial other than 2x8GB
Seagate 1TB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
48x DVDROM Burner SATA Optical Drive
Radeon RX 470 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Video Card
Internal All-in-one Card Reader w/ additional USB2.0 port
Internal n-AC Wireless Adapter
Windows 10 Home 64-bit (full copy, installed with original disc and product key)
Total Price (free FedEx Home Delivery included): $959.98

Posted

sounds goo, pics when you get it or it didnt happen :)

i will keep my fingers crossed for you!

Posted

just add an ssd to that it at some point will take a lot of time off editing.

make sure to OC the RAM and CPU as its free and you have the tools in the rig and the rx 470 you maybe to push it close to a rx 480 in performance 

nice rig it will do you proud only thing is ram I would maybe looked at 32gb over the four dimms as 16gb over four means no room to add without getting a hole new set of ram

Posted

Thanks for your input. It was a trade off. In the future, if I feel the need is there, I will buy a full 32 GB replacement set. For now, the money needed to go into the monitor, being already over my "budget" (as if I really keep to one ;-)

Posted

monitor is a import piece of kit